Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The BioPen

If you had a missing organ, wouldn't it be cool if we could just press a button and you could have it? Well that is what is in production right now. In Australia, scientists have created the BioPen. This pen is quite remarkable. It lets physicians "draw" new bones on people with something called 3D printing. I'm kind of hesitant about this because it does not seem very consistent and it does not seem like it would work. The pen, which is loaded with "stem cell ink", does not have much promise. Stem cells are a batch of human cells that help make a new bone. Apparently, people have already experienced 3D printed bones. But, this BioPen, shows more precision. It still has to go under clinical testing, but people, so far, are talking about it. I don't understand how this is going to happen. I have a bunch of questions. How will they get this to work if they are applying it to a bare bone. But, I do think it would be very cool if they actually got this pen to work. A family member of mine lost his leg in the army. If this pen was around when he lost his leg, that would have been amazing. Even though I have my doubts about this pen, I do think that it will be remarkable if the pen did work and do it's job correctly. What about you? Do you think that this pen shows promise?



Cited Source

No comments:

Post a Comment